Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Pink Institution

The           Pink           Institution           by           Selah           Saterstrom          is           a           strange

book                      it                      combines                             poetry                                            and    

regular                    fiction                                   a                                     weird                             way    
to                                                                         do                                                                    things.

fyi: before this posted it looked a lot more like the structure does in the book. It would have made me look a lot more clever had it worked the way I wanted.



     I honestly didn't like those parts of the "novel", but then again, I might not have gotten it. So, I found a brief review/analysis that helped me out a bit. But, I won't even get into that. I will, however, speak about what I liked about the book.
     I am a huge fan of messed-up, disturbing things and weird sexual things as well. This book is jam-packed full of this. It's a ghost story/southern tale mixed with child molestation and drunkards. I will cite one of my favorite passages from the book which is from "Childhood Objects" which also happens to be my favorite section of the book:

Children's Room

Willie lay in bed. Through darkness he made out a figure
standing in the doorway. Willie realized it was Death.
Death entered the room in long, swooping strides. He
walked past Willie's bed and entered the adjoining
children's room. Willie followed. Death picked up a child
at which point Willie began to assault Death. The two
entered a wrestling match. Willie won with child in arms
and Death defeated, got up to leave, but he brought his
mouth close and said, "You'll see me again." Death looked
like the popular renderings.

The last line is what does it for me: Death looked like the popular renderings. lol.

1 comment: