Thursday, March 13, 2014

Literary Website

     So, I have been searching the Internet for hours trying to find the perfect literary blog/website to write about and came across a vast ocean of results. A few of the ones I found were pay sites. They seemed to look the most "official" and boasted about the number of writers published in The New Yorker, or famous writers, editors and agents featured on their site, but I don't think that many of us want to (or can) pay the $40+ to subscribe. So then, I decided to find the next best thing, and in my searching I found that many of these blogs/sites were centered around women writers. Of course there's nothing wrong with this, it's just that I am not a woman and therefore wanted to find a site that was centered around someone who's not a woman either.
     Alright, so now I was looking for something simpler, something that could just help out new writers with some basic tips. I was sure to find a good man site somewhere, right? But alas, I was forced to resign my quest for a masculine, testosterone driven blog when I found the estrogen fueled Grammar Girl. Grammar Girl is featured on quickanddirtytips.com, which, as the title suggests, has brief and uncleanly tips for not only writing, but many other topics. However, for our purposes, we will only focus on the writing aspects and this girl of grammar.
     There are a bunch of cool things here on this site. I found a link to The World's Best Grammar Checker where you can copy and paste something you've written to find any errors, along with articles on common mistakes such as: who versus whom and I.e. versus E.g.. There are also plenty of articles to help you with word choices and spellings, such as Preventive versus Preventative.
      Quick and Dirty also offers writing tips, such as How to Beat Writer's Block and Other Creative Hurdles and Should You Use Words or Numbers for Dates? I also found an interesting article titled: How Literature Changes Your Brain for the Better. So yes, I would say that this is a pretty good website and would be a nice way to dip your feet in the pool before jumping right in. Alright, until the next Bloggy Blog, PEACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment